Picture this: It’s the summer of 2012 (you remember the one), the sun is shining, birds are chirping, and the South Jersey Waterproofing team and I are gearing up for a routine work day. We received a call from a homeowner in Medford, New Jersey, who was renovating an older home and wanted our team to evaluate a potential situation. They noticed moisture was entering their basement and suspected hydrostatic pressure to be the culprit of the water infiltration.
We were excited to take on the challenge and headed to the job site the following day. As we arrived, we were greeted with a beautiful, charming, but aged home that needed some TLC. We soon confirmed the homeowner’s suspicions: hydrostatic pressure was causing the water accumulation in the basement. One of the most effective ways to prevent hydrostatic pressure and moisture from entering a basement is by installing an exterior foundation sealer and a drainboard membrane.
For a bit of backstory, hydrostatic pressure is the force exerted by water against a surface, and it can cause foundation walls to crack or bow. Likewise, when water accumulates around the foundation, it creates pressure that can push water through tiny cracks or gaps in the foundation, causing damage to the home’s interior.
A foundation sealer can help prevent this problem by creating a barrier between the foundation walls and the surrounding soil, preventing water from penetrating the walls.
We also recommended a drainboard membrane, a waterproofing system designed to direct water away from the foundation. These membranes are made from a plastic or rubber material installed over the foundation walls before backfilling. The membrane creates a gap between the foundation walls and the soil, which allows water to drain away from the foundation and into a drainage system.
Installing a foundation sealer and a drainboard membrane can offer several benefits:
- Protection against water damage: One of the most apparent benefits of a foundation sealer and drainboard membrane is that it helps prevent water from entering the basement. This protects the foundation from damage and prevents mold growth and other moisture-related problems.
- Increased home value: A home with a properly sealed foundation is more attractive to buyers, demonstrating that the property has been well-maintained. This can increase the resale value of the house.
- Improved energy efficiency: Water infiltration can lead to increased humidity levels in the home, making it more difficult and expensive to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature. A foundation sealer and drainboard membrane can help reduce energy costs by preventing water from entering the basement.
- Reduced risk of structural damage: Hydrostatic pressure can cause foundation walls to bow or crack, which can compromise the structural integrity of the building. By preventing water from accumulating around the foundation, a foundation sealer and drainboard membrane can help reduce the risk of these problems.
- Long-lasting protection: A properly installed foundation sealer and drainboard membrane can offer long-lasting protection against water infiltration, so homeowners won’t have to worry about water-related problems for years.
By installing the foundation sealer and drainboard membrane of this lovely Medford, NJ, home – we helped protect the home from water damage, increased its value, improved energy efficiency, and reduced the risk of structural damage. These benefits were gained from one phone call on one sunny summer day.
If moisture impacts your basement, contact our expert team today by clicking here! South Jersey Waterproofing has served the New Jersey and Pennsylvania area for three generations and during all four seasons.